Things I wish I could build...

Sunday, May 29

Get notified when your friends are around

I thought a lot about this idea for a long time. Imagine a system that notifies you if your friends are somewhere near. I thought about how to implement this before there were bluetooth enabled phones, but sms wasn't dirt cheap back then and after bluetooth was introduced, I fiddled with BT a bit to see if it could be implemented.

Dodgeball does it the easy way, they use e-mail over sms network. You write your location and send it to them by e-mail using your cell. They send this message to your friends and your friends' friends who are also logged in to the system. If you are close to a friends' friend, it even sends your pictures to each other so that you can meet each other.

It is a simple and efficient system. It shouldn't be too hard to implement on any given GSM network. If somebody gets the idea and implements it in Turkey, I bet they will be swimming in cash shortly..

Currently this system only works in select cities in the USA but they just partnered with Google and they probably will expand soon.

Dodgeball's interesting logo.. I wonder why they named it Dodgeball..

0 Your thoughts:

Post a Comment

<< Home